Telecommunications, Energy, Media, Financial Services, Infrastructure, Impact Investments (Health, Education, Water, Sanitation)
The Bayat Group of companies has more than fifteen years of experience building highly profitable enterprises in Afghanistan in the telecommunications, media, industrial infrastructure, energy, and financial services sectors, and we have a proven ability to work successfully with government officials/organizations at both national and regional levels in order to help build out industries that generate profitable returns and also set the base for long term economic growth for the nation. Key operating entities include:
• Afghan Wireless (www.afghan-wireless.com) which serves more than 5 million subscribers throughout Afghanistan. Employing over 6,000 people directly and another 100,000 indirectly, Afghan Wireless is one of the largest employers in all of Afghanistan, is a leader in delivering wireless and broadband communication solutions to residential and business customers, and is considered to have pioneered the modern telecommunications industry in Afghanistan.
• Ariana Television and Radio (ATN) (www.arianatelevision.com) has two (2) television channels and two (2) radio channels that help make ATN the largest private media organization in Afghanistan, covering all 34 provinces and reaching over 25,000,000 Afghans. Also available via satellite to Dari and Pashto speaking viewers in Europe, Scandinavia, Asia, Australia, and North America, ATN programming places particular emphasis on education, health, children's programming, women's and world issues.
• Bayat Energy (www.bayat-energy.com), a newly established oil and gas exploration, development and production company focused on investing primarily in frontier markets with large exploration upside that have historically been under explored.
• The Bayat Foundation (www.bayatfoundation.org), a charitable organization, has improved the livelihoods, quality of life, and human security for at-risk Afghan people through more than 200 projects dedicated to building capacity and infrastructure for every man, woman and child in Afghanistan. Projects have included the construction of sustainable infrastructure, hospitals, clinics and schools in unserviced and remote districts, and the development and implementation of health, education, economic, and cultural programs. The Foundation’s twelve hospitals alone have served >2 million patients since 2006.
Title: Vice President, Business Development and International Investments
Mr. Simus is responsible for new strategic partnerships, investments, and ventures for the Bayat Group (www.bayat-group.com), a frontier market-focused business and philanthropic organization with offices in Afghanistan, India, United Arab Emirates, and USA. Focused on catalytic investments that can create a significant number of new jobs and build resilience in post-conflict / transition economies, the Group is the largest private American investor in Afghanistan and also holds investments in Ethiopia, Mongolia, and the Republic of Georgia. Recent notable achievements include:
• Bayat Energy (www.bayat-energy.com) an oil and gas exploration, development and production company focused on investing primarily in frontier markets with large exploration upside.
• Bayat Power, an Afghan registered independent power producing (“IPP”) business currently developing a three-phase 250MW gas-to-power project in northern Afghanistan.
• Partnerships with Turkish National Petroleum (TPAO) and Çalık Enerji as part of a US$100 million joint consortium bid for a large natural gas Government Tender in northwest Afghanistan.
• Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Schlumberger to buy and/or lease certain oilfield equipment for use solely within Afghanistan.
• Continued growth and new international strategic partnerships for the Bayat Foundation (www.bayatfoundation.org), a U.S. 501(c)3 and Afghan registered nonprofit dedicated to nourishing the lives of at-risk Afghans.
• Development of a “blended” impact investing model that features grant-based business development support in tandem with venture funding to Afghan entrepreneurs tackling key challenges in sectors such as WASH, agribusiness, and artisanal exports.
Bayat Group News
Bayat Media Center
Darulaman Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
- Contact Person:
- Monty Simus
- VP Business Development