The Alliance will host a panel of experts to discuss the economic impacts of discrimination. Recently, Ghana has proposed new legislation that would not just criminalize being a LGBT+ person, but for voicing support or advocating for them as well.
Our panel to discuss the economic and societal consequences of such discriminatory bills will include:
- Jeffrey O’Malley, Senior Advisor of LGBTI Inclusion in Africa from the UNDP
- Dr. M.V. Lee Badgett, Professor of Economics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Henry Kwasi Prempeh, Executive Director of Ghana’s Center for Democratic Development
- Yvette Babb, Emerging Market Portfolio Manager at William Blair
- Ken Colangelo, Emerging Markets Investors Alliance (moderator)
Topics to be covered include:
- Social issues within the context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The benefits of inclusivity and the overarching part it plays in sustainable development
- Economic transmission channels of discrimination
- Recent emerging market successes and setbacks for LGBT rights
- The balance between investor advocacy for human rights and the right to self-determination
The webinar is open to investment professionals only. Please use this link to register.
If you are an emerging market investment professional covering EM sovereigns and are interested in joining a working group focused on this issue, please contact Ken Colangelo at email@example.com and Claire Meier Underhill at firstname.lastname@example.org.